Sunday, June 10, 2007

A new beginning

Living in the Bahamas a small island nation you tend to be isolated from the rest of the world yet the changes of the world can affect you immensely.Our proximity to the United States has coined an adage here "when the US cough we get the cold".A former British colony and the Gateway to the New World ,the Bahamas has a unique quality we seem to be the transitional melting point between the Old World and the New World.An example our architecture, to me, seems to be a mixture of foundational colonial and functioning modern American style.
Discovered by Christopher Columbus, an Italian,under a commission from Spain thus being traded to the British and now dependant upon the U.S. economically,you can say that the Bahamas has seen its shares of "conquerors".But I am not using this platform to rant and rave about the countrie's position with respect to the international community rather this is soapbox which I hope will be the voice for all islanders,people from small countries and anyone in general who feels they need to be heard.To often our countries policies are not a reflection of our views as the masses but rather they are shaped by nations larger than us who impose them on our leaders under the guise of becoming "developed".Don't get me wrong some of them are excellent but sometimes they can have an adverse affect on a small nation. A small nation can become easily engulfed and soon its sovereignty,culture and way of life is lost an is replaced by one that is foreign and often without substance.
All this being said I hope to daily express my views on current events and what I think it means to my country and myself and sometimes give the reader an insight on life in the Bahamas. Be forewarned my views may be controversial or even off the wall but I will try my utmost best to put up content that is interesting, insightful and hopefully get you to see the world through the eyes of an islander.

No comments:

Anup Shah, US and Foreign Aid Assistance, GlobalIssues.org, Last updated: Sunday, April 27, 2008