Thursday, June 14, 2007

Summer is here!

Now that summer is here and the heat and humidity have begun, two things are of much concern to me, hurricanes and personal heat discomfort.

With this region already in the hurricane season all one can do is be well prepared ,take all the necessary precautions,and hope and pray for the best.With personal heat discomfort one thing islanders can do , go to the beach!

In the Bahamas a beach is always within either walking distance or a short drive.That is good especially if you work outdoors like me. Air condition is cool ( no pun indeed) but there is nothing like stopping to the beach before you go home and taking a nice cool dip!For me yesterday was no exception!

I pulled up to the water's edge stepped out my car and first allowed all my senses to experience the moment.The feel of the cool breeze against my face.The sound of waves softly lapping on the shore.The smell of the fresh, salty sea air.The taste you get in the back of your mouth as you breathe in. The sight of turquoise blue water meeting seamlessly with an orange tinted sun setting sky.

Peeling of my uniform and shoes I exposed my "non beach" body and headed for the water.The feeling of nice, soft, powdery sand under my feet and between my toes is a welcomed one. As I entered the water, the contrast between the sun on your body and the coolness of the water at your feet immediately gives you chill bumps.

I walked out a few feet sloshing through the water and dove underneath the waves.surfaced a few feet out,threaded water a little and then turned over and floated on my back.Jealous yet you should be! Closing my eyes and relaxing all my muscles, I floated and allowed the sea to carry me away! What a wonderful way to end the day!

Anup Shah, US and Foreign Aid Assistance, GlobalIssues.org, Last updated: Sunday, April 27, 2008