Monday, July 9, 2007

Egos

The other day, a junior coworker of mind asked me a heavy loaded question.He asked how I felt that I now had to answer to my supervisor who was once my peer?Figuring he wanted to start some strife and knowing the type of egotistical person that he has become I thought briefly before I answered.

My answer was, that first, I don't have a ego when it comes to that sort of thing.This particular job didn't define who I am.Secondly what separated me from my peer was that he was willing to do,without question,what the higher ups wanted and I wasn't. That was why he was promoted and I wasn't considered.Thirdly I was there to provide for myself and my family,nothing more nothing less.And last I really didn't want the responsibility of dealing with jackasses like himself.


The conservation ended and it dawned on me that we as men really have big egos.If Albert Einstein was our boss we would have a problem with him." Ohhh he thinks he knows everything". If the inventor of our equipment was our super we would have a problem." I know I could have designed something better than that."

Having confidence and being egocentric is two different things. Confidence, other people can see in you and will earn you respect.Egocentricity, only you can see in you and everyone thinks you are an idiot.Confidence is natural while egocentricity is superficial.

I live my life according to what I believe is right and refuse to let an ego get in the way of enjoying the human experience!

No comments:

Anup Shah, US and Foreign Aid Assistance, GlobalIssues.org, Last updated: Sunday, April 27, 2008