Sunday, July 29, 2007

Reality bites!

Recently I ranted about reality shows and their authenticity.Late last night I saw an episode of "Hogan's Knows Best" and there was a glimmer of reality that touched home.For those who aren't familiar with the show ,it is where cameras follow wrestler and entertainer Hulk Hogan and his family.The episode I saw showed where he and his wife were having problems and seriously considering divorce.

As always there where some theatrics,but the realism was when they went to a counselor and they aired out their problems.A lot of problems in a marriage are commonplace but that episode was like holding a mirror to it and the reflection was my relationship.As I watched in silence,every scene seemed to be taken from my life.The problems talked about,to the way they see each other was so similar and as my wife and I watched, I couldn't help to wonder what she was thinking .

It was like a show called "Our Marriage" ,Hogan and his wife were the cast and our day to day life the plot.If this episode was scripted they have done a good job.Watching I did not see them I saw my wife and I.Whatever the case may be it spoke to us.

My philosophy on most experiences in life is that I am not the first one to go through them and I won't be the last.This episode ,scripted or unrehearsed has shown me that. Unlike that episode though all won't be solved in half an hour.

2 comments:

Ak-Man said...

That's what I'd call a TV experience.

I think we are drawn to shows that relate to our own lives or exhibit how we would like to live.

Did you want to change the channel whilst watching? Seems like a nerving experienece.

Eugene D. Gibson said...

Very unnerving wanted to say something so bad but didn't want to add to the tension!

Anup Shah, US and Foreign Aid Assistance, GlobalIssues.org, Last updated: Sunday, April 27, 2008